Life Is A Race

Life is a race. Not a competitive race. Everyone's life is just a different race.

Our race may change course, there may be obstacles we must overcome, but if we keep our eyes on the Lord, we will reach our finish line and receive our prize. It is not always about the finish line, though. The journey is just as important. We need to make sure we don't miss something along the way while keeping our eyes on the prize.

Because I am a Christian and an athlete, this analogy is easy for me to see. Why do I race? Not to win (otherwise I would have given up long ago), but because it is a personal challenge. I'm a woman wearing so many hats -- wife, mother, Sunday School teacher, school volunteer, soccer mom -- juggling life's joys and frustrations. Talk about personal challenges! I hope to use this blog as an outlet for my frustrations and a proclamation of my joys as I tackle all the challenges I face in life.

One of my favorite Bible verses that helps me get through the hard times and relates to racing is also imprinted on my Road ID:

But those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Finding the Right Path

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do once Carter (my 4 year old) is in school full time. Not that I need to do anything, but I think I would like at least a part time job. My degree is in Music Education, but I've been away from it so long, I don't think I want to go back there. There are really not many options for a part time job in that area. It's full time and overtime! Not what I want. I could teach privately, but that would have to happen in the evenings, which cuts into family time. So, using my degree probably isn't going to happen. It has been hard for me to accept that, but I'm o.k. with it now.

So....what now? Well, I've thought about becoming a certified triathlon coach and/or a personal trainer. I've gone back and forth between these two. I had made up my mind that I wanted to go ahead with the USAT certification to become a triathlon coach, and I almost signed up for the clinic here in Austin last fall, but I stopped myself. I realized I still had 2 years before I could really use it, so I decided not to do the certification at that time. Since then, I've stepped back and really thought and prayed about it, and I'm leaning toward the personal trainer certification instead. I can start out at a gym then move on and do my own thing. I'm still not 100% sure, but I don't need to make the decision right now.

I've been having my quiet time every evening this week, which has made a huge difference. I've felt better (except for my mold allergies!), and I've been able to fit in my workouts. For a couple nights, I pulled out a couple daily devotional books I have and just read the devotional for that day. I don't know why I was surprised to read 2 days in a row about God directing my path.

He was speaking directly to me.

One of the passages was about a man riding his bike along a bike trail. This is really speaking to me, isn't it? The man was riding along and couldn't find the trail, then he looked in a direction he hadn't thought to look. God spoke to him "If you seek Me in all directions, you will find your way through the problems of the day." The verse was "I sought the Lord, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears." Psalm 34:4 The next day's verse was "The Lord shall guide thee continually..." Isaiah 58:11 Then, in another devotional book, on the same day, the verse was "Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness because of my enemies -- make straight your way before me." Psalm 5:8

I think it is pretty obvious what I need to be doing. I just need to pray for guidance and have faith that He will lead me down the right path. I'm so afraid of failure, but I just need to trust Him, not only in this decision, but in my daily life decisions.


1 comment:

  1. It always amazes me how He uses the analogies that we will best understand that that best speak to our hearts.

    ReplyDelete