Life Is A Race

Life is a race. Not a competitive race. Everyone's life is just a different race.

Our race may change course, there may be obstacles we must overcome, but if we keep our eyes on the Lord, we will reach our finish line and receive our prize. It is not always about the finish line, though. The journey is just as important. We need to make sure we don't miss something along the way while keeping our eyes on the prize.

Because I am a Christian and an athlete, this analogy is easy for me to see. Why do I race? Not to win (otherwise I would have given up long ago), but because it is a personal challenge. I'm a woman wearing so many hats -- wife, mother, Sunday School teacher, school volunteer, soccer mom -- juggling life's joys and frustrations. Talk about personal challenges! I hope to use this blog as an outlet for my frustrations and a proclamation of my joys as I tackle all the challenges I face in life.

One of my favorite Bible verses that helps me get through the hard times and relates to racing is also imprinted on my Road ID:

But those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31

Monday, November 22, 2010

A Race That Humbled



It has been 2 months since I blogged. Can I even call this a blog with so few posts? I've had all these thoughts of what to blog about, but I've just never had the time to sit down and write it down. So.....now that my friend and running partner challenged me to blog and link up with her tomorrow, I thought I'd take that challenge and spend a few minutes writing down some thoughts from the past months. I will likely write these thoughts in several blogs over the next few days, so stay tuned.

A little over a month ago, I completed my second Half-Ironman. It was a good race overall but also a bit disappointing. The weather was perfect, I saw my friend cheering on the run course, and I beat my time by about 5 minutes from my previous Half-Ironman. The first time (2 years ago), I did this same race, but the swim was quite a bit short (the wind blew the buoys) and the run was MUCH easier (they changed the run course last year). So, in reality, I beat my time by closer to 10 minutes. Most people would be really happy and thankful with that kind of a PR (personal record), but I was just a little bit happy. I had set my goal much higher than that (8 minutes faster than that). I had a good swim, a great bike, and a terrible run. I just wanted my run to be good (though I was super happy with my fantastic bike time), but it wasn't. I had to walk much of the run just like last time. Granted, this run was MUCH hillier, and I didn't throw up this time, but I still wasn't happy. I never felt strong on the run even though I had focused on running much more this time. I couldn't keep my heart rate down, so I ended up walking much more than I had planned. In a triathlon, especially one this long (6 hours and 23 minutes for me), it is hard to pinpoint exactly what is the problem. My run could have been weak just because it was weak or it could have been caused by my bike legs being weak and/or tired. I was dehydrated a bit for the run, which most certainly was a big problem (opposite problem I had last time). The bottom line is that I just wasn't happy about my performance even though I should have been. I trained well and raced as well as I could have. Most people think I'm crazy for even attempting a race this long and training for it with 3 kids, so of course they are impressed that I can even finish it and still walk the next day. That brings me to the point of all this. Why do I care what other people think?

Coming into the finishing chute

Going into this race, I've been thinking I'd like to do an Ironman in the near future. After this race, I decided I'm not doing an Ironman anytime soon. I'm not saying never, but not in a year or two like I previously thought. I don't even want to do another Half-Ironman for a long time. Why, you ask? Well, I got to thinking. First, I really start to get burned out with the long training hours. I start to not enjoy the training anymore. What's the point then? Second, I started thinking more about why I want to do an Ironman. I think I always knew why, but I just didn't want to admit it. It's not really for me. It's not because I'd enjoy training for it. It's so I can tell others I've done one. So I can call myself an Ironman (or woman). So I can get the tattoo. Whoa! What? Am I out of my mind? I had been praying about it for a while, and I think my race not going as well as I had hoped was God's way of saying I don't need to do that right now. I kept thinking I needed to do it when my son went to kindergarten and all 3 kids were still in elementary school. But why? I decided then and there that I'm just not a long distance racer, and I don't want to sacrifice all that time at this point in my life. Sure, I'll still do some marathons, but that's only a 4 hour race. An Ironman is a 14 hour race! Now, that IS crazy! I have a very good friend who will be doing an Ironman in the spring, and I hope to be his biggest cheerleader, but I don't think that I'll be joining him anytime soon.

Brian and I before the race

I feel like this is a huge step for me. Pride is something I really struggle with. I'm also VERY competitive. Always have been. I made straight As through high school and college, and I've always been a perfectionist. It was never anything my parents forced on me, though. It was just me. So, I think just giving in and admitting to myself that this isn't what I should be doing is a huge step for me. I am not going to quit triathlon. I just know that the Olympic distance, which I've always loved, is my distance. There is no shame in that. I actually know a woman who does just that. She also has 3 kids. It takes much less time, and I can really focus on getting faster at that distance. I've prayed a lot about it. I want to do some new races, like trail runs and adventure races. Doing the shorter races will allow me to do those because they cost less and take less time. Some of these are races I can do with my daughters. I've also prayed about a possible career in personal training or coaching. I still don't have the answers there, but I'm getting there. I have to quit the negative talk in my head. I know I'd be good at it, but I don't know what direction to take it or when to start. I know what my gifts are, but I have a hard time with timing. I'm not patient when it comes to something I want....NOW! God, why can't you just tell me the answer in a way I can understand?

I do know that if I just keep praying about it, He will provide the answer. I just need to be patient.




5 comments:

  1. I was once told that you don't pray for patience because it's learned not given. However, lately I've been praying for it and yes, God has been teaching me it, but I've been more receptive to His teaching. I pray that God will be leading you to persevere through His race and guide you to the finish line He has prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl. Let me just say that i think yo are awesome. Half ironman or Olympic or full ironman-all equally awesome! My husband has done the half twice and let me just say, anyone thst can do that astounds me! Keep runing the race, whichever race it may be, and enjoy every beautiful gift God has given you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm excited you did the post and you were so vulnerable, too. Admitting pride -- that is huge. But I've realized once I've said it, it brings so much light to the situation. It makes it harder for the enemy to use it.

    And you really are serious about these adventure races, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you sat down to blog, and amazed at the training and dedication it takes to finish any kind of race!

    Like you, I need to work on the "negative talk" in my head. It only holds us back from a mountain of things God is waiting to bless us with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go on recognizing and admitting these things. It's hard. Those negative inner thoughts are killers, I know..dealing with them now.

    I thought of a verse when you said "why do I care about what other people think?" I have referred to this verse often, and I hope God will use it to minister to you. “Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.” Galatians 1:10
    Winning the approval of people is hard, and I struggle with it. For me, I think it stems from having peers say as a kid that I wasn't good enough, or whatever. Anyway, I hope it ministers to you.

    Happy Thanksgiving,

    Erin

    ReplyDelete