Life Is A Race

Life is a race. Not a competitive race. Everyone's life is just a different race.

Our race may change course, there may be obstacles we must overcome, but if we keep our eyes on the Lord, we will reach our finish line and receive our prize. It is not always about the finish line, though. The journey is just as important. We need to make sure we don't miss something along the way while keeping our eyes on the prize.

Because I am a Christian and an athlete, this analogy is easy for me to see. Why do I race? Not to win (otherwise I would have given up long ago), but because it is a personal challenge. I'm a woman wearing so many hats -- wife, mother, Sunday School teacher, school volunteer, soccer mom -- juggling life's joys and frustrations. Talk about personal challenges! I hope to use this blog as an outlet for my frustrations and a proclamation of my joys as I tackle all the challenges I face in life.

One of my favorite Bible verses that helps me get through the hard times and relates to racing is also imprinted on my Road ID:

But those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Ipod Malfunction or Divine Intervention?



First of all, do you know how hard it is to take a picture of an ipod with a point and shoot camera?  
That's the best I could get.  Geez!

I didn't know what to blog about yesterday.  Then I went for a run.  

My ipod has been on the fritz lately.  If you've used an ipod, you know that the play/pause button (at the bottom of the circle) is the same button you use to turn it off.  Well, mine often doesn't want to turn off.  Yesterday, it wouldn't play, pause, or turn off with that button.  It got stuck on, and the only way I could get it off was to put it in the dock.  Bizarre, I know.  I can use the menu button to get to the playlist I want, and I can push the center button to start it, but turning it off is another feat altogether when that bottom button doesn't work.

Needless to say, I had a slow start to my run by the time I got it to work (and by golly I was going to run with music even if it was only 5 miles!)  It was cold, sunny, crisp, perfect running weather.  I was wearing my running capris that have a zipper in the back, where I keep my ipod.  I used to listen to my playlist from the beginning each time, but I've been putting it on shuffle lately.

As I ran, a song came on that I wanted to skip.  So, I reached back and felt for the skip button in the pocket while running and wearing gloves.  If you have ever tried doing this, it is quite a feat, and if you actually push the right button, it's a miracle.  I pushed it, and it quickly skipped to the next song.  Yay!  I don't have to stop running.  The next song that came on was a Christian song.  I didn't think anything of it until the next 5 songs that came on were Christian songs.

What is going on?  Did I switch to a different playlist?  Or is God somehow controlling my ipod?

As you can see from the photo of a snippet of my running playlist on my ipod, I do not have a high percentage of Christian songs on my running playlist.  I thought I had somehow switched to my "Christian Music" playlist.  Because I didn't want to stop running, I just kept on.  I didn't mind the music, but I knew it would start to repeat after a while.  At my halfway point, I saw two of my friends biking up a steep hill, and I stopped to cheer them on.  Because I had stopped, I pulled out my ipod to check the playlist.  It said Kelli's Running at the top, and just to be sure, I hit the center button.  It started playing a Christian song that had already played, so I skipped it, and it played ANOTHER one!

Really?  Is this what you mean by focus?  I thought I'd get at least a few days to ponder it before putting it into practice.

Eventually, the original song that I skipped came on, and I decided to delete that song from my playlist. Other songs came on after that, but I only had 15 minutes left of running.

Whether it was God or not, it made me think.  There are many facets of my life where I can make more room for God or just use Him as my lens instead of the world.  I also realized how much harder this focus thing is going to be than I thought!  Ugh.





No comments:

Post a Comment