Life Is A Race

Life is a race. Not a competitive race. Everyone's life is just a different race.

Our race may change course, there may be obstacles we must overcome, but if we keep our eyes on the Lord, we will reach our finish line and receive our prize. It is not always about the finish line, though. The journey is just as important. We need to make sure we don't miss something along the way while keeping our eyes on the prize.

Because I am a Christian and an athlete, this analogy is easy for me to see. Why do I race? Not to win (otherwise I would have given up long ago), but because it is a personal challenge. I'm a woman wearing so many hats -- wife, mother, Sunday School teacher, school volunteer, soccer mom -- juggling life's joys and frustrations. Talk about personal challenges! I hope to use this blog as an outlet for my frustrations and a proclamation of my joys as I tackle all the challenges I face in life.

One of my favorite Bible verses that helps me get through the hard times and relates to racing is also imprinted on my Road ID:

But those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31

Monday, January 14, 2013


It's been 10 months, but I'm going to try to get back at this blogging thing:

So, I did it.  I succumbed to the pressure of the blogging world to choose one word for 2013.  I had been thinking about it, then my friend Jen, who happens to lead my Bible study, had us all choose a word today during our Bible Study Open House.  

Many words were flying around my head....
purpose....simplify....positive....trust....courage....fearless....
but the word focus kept coming back.  Not just the word.  Pictures too.  I never see pictures.  I'm always envious of those who pray and see visions.  Today I saw a vision.  It was a camera lens focusing on different parts of the frame.  First, the foreground, then the background, then a particular subject.  It then bounced around to my husband, my children, my training, the housework, and of course, GOD.  

So, I've chosen focus as my one word for 2013.  I know this is the word because I have a hard time focusing day to day as well as just balancing everything in my life.  I feel like I really need to pay attention to where my focus is.  It needs to be on God first and foremost, but can I have other focuses?  Once I know where my focus should be, I am very efficient and very productive.  It's finding the focus that's the problem.  I tend to only be able to focus on one thing at a time very well.  

Whether it is right in front of me, like the women's retreat I am currently planning....


Or farther away, like the Ironman I am training for in May....


I seem to do o.k. with one or two things at a time.  I seem to do well with things that require checklists. Things where there are expectations from other people besides my family.

I don't always do well with the day to day things....my relationship with my husband, my kids, keeping up with the housework.  If I put my primary focus on God, I think it will be easier to focus on multiple facets in my life and keep everything in focus.


So, that's my word.  I have a feeling it's going to be a lot harder than I think.

Linking up with Jen and the Soli Deo Gloria Sisterhood:


5 comments:

  1. I always feel like my word chooses me instead of the other way around. Focus is a great word--we women have so many things to focus on--I want God to help me choose the BEST to focus on, and those important to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to see you back here. And I hear you, sometimes the things you can check off of a list are just that, something to check off. You can't do that with relationship. Focus on Him and He will bring it all together. Yip, good word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just gonna through this out there - what if it's not about focusing on God, but using Him as the lens through which to view the things of this world?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Jen, I think you are right. My post today gets at that a bit. You always have the right words. ;)

    ReplyDelete