Life Is A Race

Life is a race. Not a competitive race. Everyone's life is just a different race.

Our race may change course, there may be obstacles we must overcome, but if we keep our eyes on the Lord, we will reach our finish line and receive our prize. It is not always about the finish line, though. The journey is just as important. We need to make sure we don't miss something along the way while keeping our eyes on the prize.

Because I am a Christian and an athlete, this analogy is easy for me to see. Why do I race? Not to win (otherwise I would have given up long ago), but because it is a personal challenge. I'm a woman wearing so many hats -- wife, mother, Sunday School teacher, school volunteer, soccer mom -- juggling life's joys and frustrations. Talk about personal challenges! I hope to use this blog as an outlet for my frustrations and a proclamation of my joys as I tackle all the challenges I face in life.

One of my favorite Bible verses that helps me get through the hard times and relates to racing is also imprinted on my Road ID:

But those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31

Tuesday, January 15, 2013



Now that I've chosen a word for 2013, I need to figure out exactly how to carry it out.  So, I started, of course, by going to Wikipedia, and looking up the word focus.  Here is what it says:

Focus (cognitive process), selectively concentrating on one aspect of the environment while ignoring other things
Focus (optics), a point toward which light rays are made to converge
Focus (linguistics), a concept referring to the way information in one phrase relates to information that has come before
Focus (earthquake), an earthquake's underground point of origin or hypocenter
Focus (geometry), a focus of a conic section

Hmmmmm....a convergence.  That's what happens through a convex lens or when a cone comes to a point.

Naturally, I looked up convergence.

Convergence (logic), the notion that a sequence of transformations come to the same conclusion, no matter what order they are performed in
Convergence (mathematics), refers to the notion that some functions and sequences approach a limit under certain conditions

The same conclusion no matter what.  Approaching a limit under certain circumstances.

Well, I know my "conclusion" is God.  Focusing on Him will make things clear.  I think about a cone or light rays converging.  If you turn that around, you have spreading.  What if focusing on God will conclude in the spreading of focus to other areas of my life?  Maybe I just need to change my lens once in a while.  If I get too focused on any one thing besides God, I reach a limit.  I ignore other things around me....my kids....my husband.....the housework....my friends....
Instead, I need my focus to be more like an earthquake's hypocenter.  Focus on God so that focus can branch out to all areas of my life.  Then, everything will be in focus around that one central subject.  It's o.k. to have portions of the photo out of focus because that creates interest, but you don't want all your photos to look like that.  Usually the entire photo is in focus when photographing landscapes.  A good photographer has many lenses and plays with the focus on each photo taken depending on the final product they are going for.

I want to be a good photographer in my life.  That means I must have many lenses and learn to change my focus frequently depending on the outcome I want to achieve.  There is always some focus, though.  A completely blurry photo is worthless.  I feel like a lot of my life "photos" lately have just been blurry without a focus or with the wrong thing in focus.  It's time to change that.

I'm sure I'm over-thinking this and it will be something else I haven't even thought of, but that's where I'm starting.


No comments:

Post a Comment